The kіtсhеn must be ѕаnіtаrу аt аll tіmеѕ bесаuѕе іt іѕ whеrе we еаt аnd what we take into our body muѕt be clean. This space is where most families spend their time, constant foot traffic and food preparation can create a build-up of germs on surfaces that can cause more serious issues if left to sit. Can you smell that odour? It is a result of poor hygiene and areas that have not been disinfected, it can make you sick, cost you unnecessary time and money.
So what are the benefits of having a clean kitchen?
Health benefits – increased productivity by keeping the family healthy. By disinfecting surfaces regularly, wiping down handles and maintain a clean area for food preparation is the key to keeping those germs and bacteria away.
Reduce wastage – a disfunctional kitchen makes items hard to find. Food left in the refrigerator or pantry will be left to spoil more often. That’s more of your hard earned cash down the drain.
Reduce frustration – ever try to prepare dinner when there is a mountain of dishes in the sink, the dishwasher hasn’t been cleared and you cannot find any utensils? It can be frustrating and end up turning a 15 minute prep into an hour long saga. Having an organized kitchen can reduce some of this stress, clear dishes when clean, place dirty dishes in the dishwasher straight after a meal. Little steps allow you to maintain control by preventing a compilation of tasks to be done.
Here is some advice to help make the job a lot easier.
- Begin by decluttering the kitchen; putting items where they belong and removing what doesn’t need to be there helps to organise the kitchen space and makes finding items easier when you need them.
- Create a temporary space to relocate appliances and any other items that are normally stored on the bench tops, this will allow you to properly clean the bench top where the appliance is normally anchored. This could be space on the dining table or a temporary folding trestle table.
- Open doors and windows to maintain a good level of ventilation in order to allow fresh air into the space and allow unpleasant cleaning odours to exit the area. Being confined in an area you are attempting to clean with extended exposure to cleaning products can create a health hazard.
- Ensure you have all your tools for the job, it makes it so much easier and less frustrating when you have what you need to conquer a task at hand. So get them ready and place them all in one place.
- Inspect your pantry and refrigerator. This is a good opportunity to clear out any expired products that you’ve forgotten about and had left in the corner. Disposing of these items can prevent contamination and avoid food poisoning.
Keeping a clean kitchen not only helps you better organize, it can save you time and money, manage your food more effectively and most importantly help prevent the chance of contracting severe food poisoning.